India sets target to become ‘Global Hub for Green Ship’ building by 2030
- The Union Minister of Ports, Shipping & Waterways (MoPSW) and Ayush Shri Sarbananda Sonowal on March 22, 2023, inaugurated India’s first National Centre of Excellence in Green Port & Shipping (NCoEGPS) in Gurugram, Haryana.
- It has been developed through collaboration between the Ministry of Ports, Shipping & Waterways, Government of India and the Energy and Resources Institute (TERI).
- India has set the target to become ‘Global Hub for Green Ship’ building by 2030.
- For this, the government has launched Green Tug Transition Programme (GTTP).
- The GTTP programme will start with ‘Green Hybrid Tugs’, which will be powered by Green Hybrid Propulsion systems, and subsequently adopting non-fossil fuel solutions like Methanol, Ammonia, Hydrogen.
- Initially, Green Tugs will start to work in all major ports by 2025 and then atleast, 50% of all the Tugs will be converted into Green Tugs by 2030.