Former RBI Governor Urjit Patel Appointed as Vice President of Beijing-based AIIB
- Former Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Urjit Patel has been appointed as Vice President of the multilateral funding institution Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) for a period of three years.
- Mr Patel will be one of the five Vice Presidents of the AIIB. He is expected to take charge from February 2022.
- He will succeed outgoing Vice President D J Pandian, who is in charge of sovereign and non-sovereign lending of the AIIB in South Asia, the Pacific Islands and South-East Asia.
- India is a founding member of AIIB and holds second highest voting share after China.
- AIIB headquarter: Beijing, China
- President: Jin Liqun
Points to Remember:
- Name the Indian economist who has recently been appointed as one of the five Vice Preidents of AIIB?
- How many Vice Presidents are there on AIIB board?