- French president, Emmanuel Macron has confirmed that France and its European partners will start the military withdrawal from Mali after more than nine years fighting a jihadist insurgency.
- France first deployed troops against jihadists in Mali in 2013 under the Socialist president François Hollande. The decision has been taken due to a breakdown in France’s relations with the ruling junta government in the country.
- The heart of this military operation will be shifted from Mali to Niger.
Points to remember:
- Which country has announced its withdrawal from Mali after 9-10 years?= France
- France will shift its military base for the fight against jihadist insurgency from Mali to which place?= Niger
Source: The Guardian
- Mali- Capital: Bamako; Currency: CFA Franc
- Niger- Capital: Niamey; Currency: West African CFA franc