Skip to content
India contributes USD 2.5 million to UNRWA
- The Government of India contributed USD 2.5 million to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA), on July 22, 2022.
- This is the first half portion of the annual contribution of total US $5 million from India to UNRWA.
- India has been supporting the work of UNRWA and is committed to the wellbeing of Palestine refugees through timely contribution to the agency.
- Since 2018, India has contributed around USD 20 million in support of core UNRWA services to Palestine refugees across the Middle East.
- The UNRWA was established as a humanitarian agency in 1949. The agency is fully funded through voluntary contributions and grants from donor countries.
- In 2022, UNRWA needs US$1.6 billion from the international community to cover expenses and provide services and humanitarian development programs for Palestinian refugees.
- UNRWA headquarters : Amman, Jordan and Gaza, Palestinian Authority