India emerges as largest importer of arms in 2017-21: SIPRI Report
- The Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) released its latest report on Trends in International Arms Transfer, 2021.
Largest Arms Importers in 2017-21
- As per the report, India and Saudi Arabia emerged as the largest importers of arms between 2017-21. Both the two countries accounted for 11% of all global arms sales. The report placed India at the top of the list.
- Egypt (5.7%), Australia (5.4%) and China (4.8%) were the next three largest importers respectively in top 5.
- 85% of India’s overall import were from three countries. Russia (46%), France (27%), and USA (12%) were the top three largest exporters of arms to India during the period.
Largest Arms Exporters in 2017-21
- USA, with 39% share, retained its standing as the world’s largest arms exporters during 2017-21.
- Russia (19%), France (11%), China (4.6%) and Germany (4.5%) were among the top 5 largest exporters respectively.
- India was 23rd largest exporter during 2017-21, with a share of just 0.2% of the global exports.
Source: Financial Express