India likely to surpass China as world’s most populous country during 2023: UN World Population Prospects 2022 report
- According to the United Nations’ World Population Prospects (WPP) 2022 report, the global population is estimated to reach eight billion in mid- November ( November 15, 2022).
- The report also states that India is projected to surpass China as the world’s most populous country during 2023.
Other key findings
- The global population is estimated to grow to around 8.5 billion in 2030 and 9.7 billion in 2050. It is further projected to reach a peak of around 10.4 billion people during the 2080s and remain at that level until 2100.
- According to the report, the population in India stands at 1.412 billion in 2022, while in China it is 1.426 billion.
- The world’s two most populous regions in 2022 were Eastern and South-Eastern Asia, accounting 2.3 billion people, representing 29 percent of the global population.
- Similarly Central and Southern Asia accounted for 2.1 billion people, representing 26 percent of the total world population.
- More than half of the projected increase in global population up to 2050 will be concentrated in just eight countries. These are the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Egypt, Ethiopia, India, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Philippines and Tanzania.
Source: United Nations