India ranks 135th in WEF’s Gender Gap Index 2022; Iceland tops
- India has been ranked at 135th place in terms of gender parity, as per the annual Gender Gap Report 2022 of the World Economic Forum (WEF). In 2021, India’s rank was 140 among 156 nations.
- Iceland has retained its position as the world’s most gender-equal country, among 146 nations on the index.
- Finland, Norway, New Zealand and Sweden are top five countries in the list respectively.
- Afghanistan is the worst-performing country in the report.
- The Global Gender Gap Report 2022 is 16th edition of the annual publication by WEF.
- The Global Gender Gap Index was first introduced by the World Economic Forum in 2006 to compare countries’ gender gaps across four dimensions: economic opportunities, education, health and political leadership.