Indian Railways’ First Gati Shakti Cargo Terminal commissioned in Asansol Division of Eastern Railway
- The Indian Railways has commissioned the first ‘Gati Shakti Multi-Modal Cargo Terminal’ (GCT) in Asansol Division of Eastern Railways, under the PM GATI-SHAKTI programme.
- This private siding of Maithan Power Limited was commissioned by the Asansol division at Thaparnagar in Jharkahnd.
- This is the first Gati Shakti Multi Modal Cargo Terminal (GCT) commissioned in the Indian Railways network since the launch of the GCT policy in December 2021.
- The commissioning of this terminal will enhance the earnings of Indian Railways by around Rs. 11 crores per month.
- Indian Railways will set up around 500 multi-modal cargo terminals under the PM GATI-SHAKTI programme within 4-5 years, in line with PM Narendra Modi’s vision of “Gati Shakti” and the Railway Ministry’s Policy regarding GCT .