India’s unemployment rate in January 2022 stood at 6.57%; Telangana witnessed lowest unemployment rate and Haryana recorded highest unemployment rate: CMIE Report
- The unemployment rate in India in January 2022 fell sharply to 6.57%, according to the data from think-tank, Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy (CMIE). This is the lowest rate witnessed since March 2021.
- In December 2021, the unemployment rate rose to a four-month high of 7.91%, compared to 6.97% in November.
- State with lowest unemployment rate
- Telangana recorded lowest unemployment rate in January at 0.7%.
- This was followed by Gujarat at 1.2%, Meghalaya at 1.5%, Odisha at 1.8% and Karnataka at 2.9%.
- State with highest unemployment rate
- Haryana witnessed highest unemployment rate of 23.4% in January 2022. It was followed by Rajasthan (18.9%), Tripura (17.1%), Jammu & Kashmir (15%) and Delhi (14.1%).
- Area wise data showed that the rural unemployment in January 2022 declined to 5.84% as against 7.28% in December 2021.
- The urban unemployment was recorded at 8.16% compared to 9.30% in December 2021.
- CMIE is a Mumbai-based independent non-government entity that serves both as an economic think-tank as well as a business information company.
Points to Remember:
- Rate of unemployment in India in January 2022, as per the data by CMIE?
- Which state witnessed highest unemployment rate in January 2022
- Which state witnessed lowest unemployment rate in January 2022?
- Headquarter of CMIE
Source: Economic Times