Indonesia passes bill to change its capital from Jakarta to Nusantara
- The Indonesian parliament has approved a bill to change the capital of Indonesia from Jakarta to Nusantara.
- The new capital named as Nusantara is located within the jungle of mineral-rich East Kalimantan on the island of Borneo.
- Jakarta will remain the commercial and financial centre while the government administrative functions will move to East Kalimantan.
- The project for the development of new capital city Nusantara (meaning archipelago in Javanese) will be taken in five stages and the first stage is expected to begin in 2022.
- The estimated cost of the project is around 466 trillion rupiah ($32 billion).
Points to to remember:
- Which country has decided to change its capital city to Nusantara?
- Indonesia has planned to change its capital from Jakarta to which city?