IUCN designates Aravalli Biodiversity Park in Gurugram as India’s first OECM site
- The Aravalli Biodiversity Park in Gurugram, Haryana, has been declared as India’s first “other effective area-based conservation measures” (OECM) site.
- This was informed by the Union ministry of environment, forest and climate change on the occasion of World Wetlands Day on February 02, 2022.
- The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) gives OECM tag to those areas that are not protected but support rich biodiversity.
- The tag designates the area as a biodiversity hotspot on the international map.
Points to Remember:
- Which Indian site has been declared as country’s first OECM site?
- The Aravalli Biodiversity Park is in which city/state?
- OECM site designation is given by which organisation?
- International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) headquarter? Gland, Switzerland
Source: The Times of India