Japan Launches its Moon-lander mission ‘Moon Sniper’
- The Japanese space agency, Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) launched its moon -lander mission SLIM (Smart Lander for Investigating Moon) on September 07, 2023. The mission is nicknamed as Moon Sniper.
- The spacecraft took off aboard H-IIA rocket from Tanegashima Space Center in southern Japan.
- The mission is expected to touch down on the lunar surface by February 2024.
- The overall cost of the mission is estimated to be $100-million.
- If Japan succeeds in landing its SLIM spacecraft, it shall become only the fifth country in the world to do so.
- Apart from this, the H-IIA rocket also carried X-Ray Imaging and Spectroscopy Mission (XRISM), a research satellite meant for astronomical observations. It has been developed by the NASA, the European Space Agency and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA).
Points to Remember:
- Moon Sniper is the moon lander mission of which country?
- Which country has launched Smart Lander for Investigating Moon (SLIM)?