Kerala becomes India’s first state to have own internet service
- Kerala has become the first state in the country to have its own internet service.
- As per the announcement made by the state Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan, the states flagship project ‘Kerala Fiber Optic Network Ltd (KFON)’ has received the Internet Service Provider (ISP) license from Department of Telecommunications, GoI,
- The KFON project is an ambitious IT infrastructure project of the state government to make the internet accessible to everyone in the state.
- The KFON scheme envisages to provide free internet to BPL families and 30,000 government offices.
- The ISP license now allows KFON to kickstart its operations of providing the internet as a basic right to the people of Kerala.