Skip to content
National Safe Motherhood Day 2022: 11 April
- In India, the National Safe Motherhood Day is observed every year on April 11 to raise awareness about adequate access to care for women during pregnancy, childbirth and postnatal services.
- Theme of 2022 is Remain at home amid coronavirus, protect mother and infant safe from coronavirus.
- India is the first country in the world to officially declare National Safe Motherhood Day
- The day commemorates the birth anniversary of Kasturba Gandhi, the wife of the father of Nation Mohan Das Karam Chand Gandhi.
- In 2003, upon the initiative of the White Ribbon Alliance, the Government of India declared the national safe motherhood day to be held on April 11.
- 2022 marks the 19th anniversary of the day. The first observation was held in 2003.