New Delhi is world’s most polluted capital city : IQAir’s 2021 World Air Quality Report
- New Delhi has been ranked the world’s most polluted capital city for second consecutive year as per IQAir’s 2021 World Air Quality Report.
- New Delhi is followed by Dhaka (Bangladesh), N’Djamena (Chad), Dushanbe (Tajikistan) and Muscat (Oman) as top five most polluted capital cities respectively..
Major Points to be noted
- The 2021 World Air Quality Report by Swiss organisation IQAir is the first major global air quality report based on updated annual WHO air quality guidelines for PM2.5.
- The new guidelines were released in September 2021 and cut existing annual PM2.5 guideline values from 10 Aug/m 3 to 5 Aug/m 3.
- The report has analysed PM2.5 air pollution measurements in 6,475 cities in 117 countries, regions and territories.
- Of the 15 most polluted cities in Central and South Asia in 2021, 12 were in India.
- PM2.5 concentration in New Delhi increased by 14.6 percent in 2021 to 96.4 Ig/m3, compared to 84 Ig/m3 in 2020.
- Meanwhile, Bhiwadi was the most polluted city in India, followed by Ghaziabad, Delhi and Jaunpur.
- Bangladesh was the most polluted country, followed by Chad, Pakistan and Tajikistan. India was the fifth most polluted country.
Points to remember:
- Which city has been ranked as the most polluted capital city of the world as per IQAir’s 2021 World Air Quality Report?
Source: Business Standard