Number of domestic patent filings surpasses international filings for first time in 11 years: Ministry of Commerce
- As per the data by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, the number of domestic patent filings at the Indian patent office exceeded that of international filings for the first time in the last 11 years.
- During the January-March quarter of 2022, a total of 19796 patent applications were filed, which included 10,706 patents filed by Indian applicants and 9,090 by non-Indian applicants.
Among other achievements:
- The number of patent filings increased from 42,763 in 2014-15 to 66,440 in 2021-22, more than a 50% increase in a span of 7 years.
- India granted 30,074 patents in 2021-22 as compared to 5,978 in 2014-15, an increase of nearly five times.
- Reduction in the time of patent examination from 72 months in Dec 2016 to 5-23 months at present for different technological areas.
Source: Business Standard