Skip to content
Padma Shri recipient professional mountaineer Major HPS Ahluwalia passes away at 85
- Professional mountaineer and a retired army officer Major Hari Pal Singh Ahluwalia has passed away. He was 85.
- HPS Ahluwalia was a trained mountaineer, author and social worker, besides being an army officer.
- He had contributed immensely in various fields including adventure, sports, environment, disability and social work.
- Major Ahluwalia was one of the first Indians to conquer Mount Everest in 1965, at the age of 26..
- He has written over 13 books, which includes his autobiography Higher Than Everest.
- Above all, he was honoured with the Padma Bhushan (2002), Padma Shri (1965), Arjuna Award (1965) and the Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award (2009).