Skip to content
PM Modi launches International Big Cats Alliance (IBCA) for conservation of 7 big cats
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the program ‘Commemoration of 50 years of Project Tiger’ on April 09, 2023 at Mysuru University in, Karnataka.
- The year 2023 marks 50 years of the Project Tiger.
- The Project Tiger was launched in November 1973 as tiger conservation programme by the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
- International Big Cats Alliance (IBCA)
- PM Modi launched the International Big Cats Alliance (IBCA) in Karnataka.
- IBCA aims to focus on the protection and conservation of seven major big cats of the world, in collaboration with countries harbouring these species..
- These include Tiger, Lion, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Puma, Jaguar and Cheetah.
- The IBCA will provide assured support over five years with guaranteed funding of over Rs 800 crore.
- The alliance membership will be open to 97 “range” countries, which contain the natural habitat of these big cats
- Other launches that took place at the event includes:
- Release of the publications – ‘Amrit Kaal Ka Vision For Tiger Conservation’, a summary report of the 5th cycle of Management Effectiveness Evaluation of Tiger Reserves.
- Release of the summary report of All India Tiger Estimation (5th cycle).
- Release of a commemorative coin on the completion of 50 years of Project Tiger.
- Other facts
- India is home to 75% of the world’s tiger population in the 75th year of Indian independence.
- The tiger reserves in India cover 75,000 square kilometers of land
- In the past 10-12 years, the tiger population in the country has increased by 75 percent.