Polio National Immunization Day 2022 to be observed on 27th February
- In 2022, the Government of India has organised the Polio National Immunization Day 2022 (NID) (also known as ‘’Polio Ravivar”) on February 27, 2022, to give two drops of oral polio vaccine (OPV) to every child in the country under the age of five..
- Over 15 crore children will be covered under the drive across all 36 States and UTs in 735 districts.
- The National Polio Immunization Drive for 2022 was launched by Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Dr. Mansukh Mandavia on February 26, 2022.
- In India, one nationwide NID and two Sub-National Immunization Day (SNIDs) for polio is held every year to maintain population immunity against wild poliovirus and to sustain its polio free status.
- India was removed from the list of polio endemic countries in 2012 and in 2013 the entire Southeast Asia Region was declared Polio free.
- The last case of wild poliovirus reported in India was on 13th January 2011.
Points to Remember:
- Polio National Immunization Day 2022 (NID) was organised on which day?