- Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh has created a Guinness record by lighting 11.71 lakh clay lamps (diyas) in 10 minutes. The diyas were lighted as part of the ‘Shiv Jyoti Arpanam Mahotsava’ on the occasion of Mahashivratri on March 01, 2022.
- With this they broke the earlier record of lighting 9.41 lakh diyas created in Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh on 03 November 2021.
- Ujjain is also known as ‘Land of Mahakal’. The certificate was received by Madhya Pradesh chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
Points to remember:
- Which city has created Guinness record by lighting 11.71 lakh diyas in 10 minutes?- Ujjain
- Which city is known as ‘Land of Mahakal’?- Ujjain
It was a zero-waste programme. The clay from the lamps will be used to prepare idols, while the oil left in the lamps will be offered to gaushalas. The plastic used for the I-cards will be used to make chairs and other items for public gardens.