UNHRC appoints Tuvalu negotiator Dr Ian Fry as first climate change expert
- The United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) has appointed Dr Ian Fry as the world’s first independent expert for human rights and climate change.
- Dr Fry has been appointed for a period of three years. He holds dual citizenship of Tuvalu and Australia.
- The position of Special Rapporteur for human rights and climate change was created by UNHRC in October 2021.
- The new independent expert will have the mandate to “study and identify how the adverse effects of climate change, including sudden and slow onset disasters, affect the full and effective enjoyment of human rights and make recommendations on how to address and prevent these adverse effects”
Points to Remember:
- Who has been appointed as the first Special Rapporteur for human rights and climate change by UN
- Headquarter of UNHRC – Geneva, Switzerland