Union Minister Pralhad Joshi inaugurates 36th International Geological Congress (IGC) in New Delhi
- India is hosting the 36th International Geological Congress (IGC) on virtual platform from March 20 to 22, 2022.
- The Union Minister of Coal, Mines & Parliamentary Affairs Shri Pralhad Joshi inaugurated the 36th IGC in New Delhi on March 20, 2022.
- The theme of the event is “Geosciences: The Basic Science for a Sustainable Future”.
- The 36th IGC has been organised jointly by the Ministry of Mines, Ministry of Earth Sciences, Indian National Science Academy and the Science Academies of Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
- The IGC provides a unique global platform for knowledge and experience sharing in the field of geosciences and professional networking, including first-hand information on latest technologies in mining, mineral exploration and management of water, mineral resource and environment.
- IGCs are described as the Olympics of Geosciences.
- It is a quadrennial event, held under the aegis of the International Union of Geological Congress (IUGS), the Scientific Sponsor of the IGCs.