World Leprosy Day 2022: 30 January (Last Sunday of January)
- The World Leprosy Day is observed globally on the last Sunday of January every year.
- In 2022, the World Leprosy Day falls on January 30, 2022.
- Theme 2022: “United for Dignity”
- In India, the World Leprosy Day is celebrated every year on 30 January, the anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi’s death.
- The day aims to raise global awareness of this deadly ancient disease and call attention to the fact that it can be prevented, treated and cured.
- The day was initiated in 1954 by French philanthropist and writer, Raoul Follereau as a tribute to the life of the Mahatma Gandhi who had compassion for people afflicted with leprosy.
Points to Remember:
- When is the World Leprosy Day observed globally/ in India?
- Theme of World Leprosy Day 2022?
- World Leprosy Day marks the death anniversary of which freedom fighter?