India ranks 46th in EIU’s Democracy Index 2021; Norway tops the list
- India is placed at 46th position, among 167 nations, in the EIU’s 2021 Democracy Index, with an overall score of 6.91 on a scale of 0-10. India was ranked at 53rd spot last year.
- Norway has topped the index with the score of 9.75.
- New Zealand, Finland, Sweden and Iceland are the top five countries in the list.
- Afghanistan is at the bottom of the list at 167th spot with a score of 0.32
- The Democracy Index is released by The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) to provide a snapshot of the current state of democracy worldwide.
- The index is based on 5 parameters with 60 indicators. These parameters are:
- electoral process and pluralism
- functioning of government
- political participation
- political culture
- civil liberties.
- Based on the score, the countries are classified as one of four following types of regime:
- Full democracy – scores greater than 8
- Flawed democracy – scores greater than 6 and less than or equal to 8
- Hybrid regime – scores greater than 4 and less than or equal to 6
- Authoritarian regime – scores less than or equal to 4
Source: TimesNowNews and EIU
Points to Remember:
- Democracy Index is released by which organisation?
- Rank of India in Democracy Index 2021?
- Top country in Democracy Index 2021?
- Top 5 countries in Democracy Index 2021?
- Headquarter of EIU? London, United Kingdom