2022 Winter Olympics begins at Beijing, India announces diplomatic boycott of opening and closing ceremony
- The 2022 Winter Olympics kicked off on February 04, 2022 in Beijing, China and will continue till February 20, 2022.
- The Opening Ceremony was held at Beijing’s National Stadium, also known as the Bird’s Nest on February 04, 2022.
- However, India had announced diplomatic level boycott of Beijing Winter Olympics opening and closing ceremony. This means that no Indian officials will attend the opening and closing ceremony.
- However, the country has sent one of its athletes, Arif Khan (skier), to attend the event.
- Reason behind the boycott: China has picked a Chinese soldier (Qi Fabao) as Olympic torchbearer, who was involved in the Galwan incident on June 15, 2020, which had resulted in the death of 20 Indian soldiers, including a Colonel.
About the 2022 Winter Olympics
- It is the first Winter Olympic Games in China and the second overall Olympics in China.
- Beijing will be the first city in the world to have hosted both the Summer (2008) and Winter Olympics.
- The vent will include a record 109 events over 15 disciplines in seven sports.
- Emblem for the 2022 Winter Olympics – “Winter Dream”
- Moto – Bing Dwen Dwen
- Official slogan – “Together for a Shared Future”
Source: The Hindu