Daryl Mitchell of New Zealand wins ICC Spirit of Cricket Award 2021
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has selected New Zealand batter Daryl Mitchell as the winner of the ICC Spirit of Cricket Award 2021.
- Mitchell won the award for his gesture during the T20 World Cup semi-final in Abu Dhabi on November 10, 2021 against England in which he did not take an easy single during the game as he felt he had “obstructed” the way of bowler Adil Rashid in that moment.
- Mitchell is the fourth New Zealand player to win the award. Other three players include Daniel Vettori, Brendon McCullum and Kane Williamson.
- ICC Spirit of Cricket Award: The award is given to the team or player most notable for “upholding the ‘Spirit of the Game'”, involving respect for:
- Their opponents
- Their own captain and team
- The role of the umpires
- The game’s traditional values
Points to Remember:
- Winner of the ICC Spirit of Cricket Award?