Govt appoints JNU Vice-Chancellor M Jagadesh Kumar as new Chairman of UGC
- Centre has appointed JNU (Jawaharlal Nehru University) Vice Chancellor, M Jagadesh Kumar as the new Chairman of the University Grants Commission (UGC).
- He has been appointed for a period of five years or till he attains the age of 65 years, whichever is the earliest.
- The post of the UGC Chairman was vacant since December 07, 2021, after Prof D P Singh resigned upon attaining 65 years of age. He was appointed in 2018.
- The University Grants Commission (UGC) of India is a statutory body under the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education. It is responsible for coordination, determination and maintenance of standards of higher education.
Points to Remember:
- Who has been appointed as the new Chairman of the University Grants Commission (UGC)?
Source: The Times of India