India’s first water taxi service inaugurated to connect South Mumbai with Navi Mumbai
- The Union Minister of Ports, Shipping and Waterways Sarbananda Sonowal flagged off India’s first water taxi service in Maharashtra on February 17, 2022, from the newly constructed Belapur Jetty.
- The Belapur Jetty was inaugurated by Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray same day.
- Both the inaugurations were held virtually.
- The Water Taxi service will connect the twin cities of Navi Mumbai to mainland Mumbai.
- This will be for the first time that South Mumbai to Navi Mumbai will be connected by fast and reliable transport services which will help in reducing the travelling time .
- The Belapur Jetty project in Navi Mumbai has been built under the Sagarmala programme.
- The project began in January 2019 and was completed by September 2021.
- The overall cost of construction is Rs 8.37 crore, with equal funding by the Centre and state government.
Source: The Hindu
Points to Remember:
- India’s first water taxi service has been started in which state?
- India’s first water taxi service will connect which cities?
- Union Minister of Ports, Shipping and Waterways – Sarbananda Sonowal