American Mathematician Dennis P. Sullivan wins 2022 Abel Prize
- The Abel prize for the year 2022 has been awarded to American Mathematician Dennis Parnell Sullivan.
- Mr Dennis has been awarded “For his groundbreaking contributions to topology in its broadest sense, and in particular its algebraic, geometric and dynamical aspects.”
About Abel Prize
- Abel Prize is awarded by ‘The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters’ for ‘Outstanding scientific work in the field of mathematics’.
- The Abel Prize was founded by the Norwegian Parliament (The Storting) in 2002, to commemorate the 200th birth anniversary of Niels Henrik Abel, the greatest mathematician of Norway.
- The winner gets a monetary award of 7.5 million Norwegian Krone (NOK) (approximately Rs 6,51,06,180) along with a statuette depicting Niels Henrik Abel.
Points to remember:
- Winner of 2022 Abel Prize?
- Abel prize is given for outstanding work in which field?
- Abel Prize is given by the govt of which country?
- Abel Prize has been named after which whom?
Source: The Hindu