Skip to content
Bengali author Amar Mitra wins 2022 O. Henry Prize for short stories
- Bengali author Amar Mitra has been conferred with the prestigious 2022 O. Henry Prize for short stories.
- Mitra has won for his work titled “The Old Man of Kusumpur”, originally written in Bengali with the title Gaonburo, 45 years back in 1977.
- The story has been translated into English by Anish Gupta, a senior journalist, and was published in the American web magazine, The Common, in 2021.
- A total of 20 authors have been awarded the coveted prize in 2022.
- O. Henry Award: is an annual American award given to short stories of exceptional merit, published in an American or Canadian periodical, including stories that have been translated into English.
- The award is named after the American short-story writer O. Henry.