Droupadi Murmu elected as 15th President of India
- The former Governor of Jharkhand, Droupadi Murmu, has been elected as the 15th President of India after she secured majority votes in the 2022 Presidential election.
- She defeated opposition candidate Yashwant Sinha with 676,803 electoral votes (64.03% of total) in 21 of the 28 states (including in the union territory of Puducherry).
- Murmu will be replacing incumbent President Ram Nath Kovind, whose tenure ends on July 24, 2022.
- She will be administered oath by the CJI, Mr. NV Ramana and assume the office on July 25, 2022.
- Droupadi Murmu is a tribal leader from Rairangpur in the Mayurbhanj district in Odisha.
- She is the first-ever politician from Scheduled Tribe (ST) community as well as from Odisha to be elected as the President of India.
- Murmu is also the only second woman after Pratibha Patil to occupy presidential post.
- Prior to this she served as the 9th Governor of Jharkhand between 2015 and 2021. She was also the first woman Governor of Jharkhand.
- She had held various portfolios in the cabinet of Government of Odisha between 2000 to 2004.