Gilbert Houngbo elected as new Director-General of International Labour Organization (ILO)
- Gilbert Houngbo has been elected as the next Director-General of the International Labour Organization (ILO).
- Mr. Houngbo, who is the former Prime Minister of Togo, will be the 11th Director-General of the ILO and the first African to hold the post.
- He will take on the new role from October 2022, for a period of five years.
- Currently, Houngbo is serving as the President of the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- The incumbent Director-General of ILO, Guy Ryder (United Kingdom), is serving the office since 2012.
- International Labour Organization (ILO) Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland