- The government has made it mandatory for telecom companies for storage of
- international calls,
- satellite phone calls,
- conference calls and
made over normal networks as well as on the internet for a period of at least two years.
- This comes after the Department of Telecom (DoT) made an amendment in the unified licence (UL) in December 2021 which extended storage of call data records as well as internet logs to two years from earlier provision of one year.
- UL holders are telecom companies like Bharti Airtel, Reliance Jio, Vodafone Idea, BSNL for providing all kinds of telecom services, except satellite phone services.
Points to remember:
- telecom companies have to store the intrenational calls, satellite phone calls, etc for how much duration?- 2 yeats
- Full form of UL?- Unified Licence
- ILD Full form?- International Long Distance (ILD) licence
Source: economic times