Skip to content
Haryana has highest unemployment rate while Uttarakhand and Chandigarh have lowest in March 2023: CMIE Report
- The latest data from the Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy (CMIE) reveals that in March 2023, the unemployment rate in India rose to a three-month high to 7.8 percent.
- Managing Director of CMIE – Mahesh Vyas
- The unemployment rate in the country in December 2022 was 8.30 percent.
- This declined in January 2023 to 7.14 percent.
- However in February, the rate increased to 7.45 percent
- Area-wise data for the unemployment rate in March 2023
- Urban areas – 8.4 percent
- Rural areas – 7.5 percent
- State-wise data for the unemployment rate in March 2023
- Highest – Haryana (26.8 percent)
- It was followed by Rajasthan (26.4 percent), Jammu and Kashmir (23.1 percent), Sikkim (20.7 percent), Bihar (17.6 percent) and Jharkhand (17.5 percent).
- Lowest – Uttarakhand and Chhattisgarh at 0.8 percent each.
- It was followed by Puducherry (1.5 percent), Gujarat (1.8 percent), Karnataka (2.3 percent) and Meghalaya and Odisha (2.6 percent each).