Skip to content
Russia Assumes Presidency of UNSC for April 2023
- Russia has taken over the Presidency of the UN Security Council (UNSC) on April 01, 2023. It will be presided by Russian President Vladimir Putin.
- It must be informed that each of the 15 members of the UNSC takes up the presidency for a month, on a rotating basis.
- Previously, Russia took over the Presidency in February 2022. During that time, Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine.
- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is one of the six principal organs of the United Nations (UN) and is responsible for maintaining international peace and security.
- UNSC has 15 member countries. Among them, 5 are permanent while other 10 are non-permanent members.
- The five permanent members of UNSC are China, France, Russia, United Kingdom and United States.
- The non-permanent members are Albania, Brazil, Ecuador, Gabon, Ghana, Japan, Malta, Mozambique, Switzerland, and United Arab Emirates.