Skip to content
India to host 44th Chess Olympiad in Chennai
- The 44th FIDE Chess Olympiad is designated to be held in Chennai from July 28 to August 10, 2022.
- This will be the first time that India is hosting the Chess Olympiad. The event is being organised in Asia after 30 years, since it kicked off in 1927.
- The official logo and mascot of the Olympiad is a chess knight called Thambi (meaning Younger brother in Tamil).
- A record 187 countries will participate in the event, making it the world’s biggest chess event.
- A total of 188 teams in the Open section and 162 in the Women’s section will participate in the Olympiad.
- From India, total 30 Indian players will take part across six teams (Three in open and three women).