India’s first Graphene Innovation Centre to be set up in Kerala’s Thrissur
- India’s first innovation centre for graphene is set to come up in Thrissur, Kerala.
- This will be the first graphene Research and Development (R&D) incubation centre in India.
- The project will be set up by the Digital University Kerala (DUK), jointly with Centre for Materials for Electronics Technology (C-MET).
- The estimated cost of the project is Rs 86.41 crore.
- Tata Steel Limited will be the industrial partner of the centre.
- The new centre will accelerate the growth of the state in the knowledge industry sector..
Points to Remember:
- India’s first innovation centre for graphene is being set up in which state/city? Thrissur/Kerala
Graphene and its properties
- Graphene is a single layer (monolayer) of carbon atoms, tightly bound in a hexagonal honeycomb lattice. It is an allotrope of carbon in the form of a plane of sp2-bonded atoms.
Graphene is the
- thinnest compound (one atom thick) known
- lightest material known (with 1 square meter weighing around 0.77 milligrams)
- strongest compound discovered
- best conductor of heat at room temperature
- best conductor of electricity known