India’s teen prodigy R Praggnanandhaa becomes youngest player to beat World No 1 Magnus Carlsen
- India’s teen chess Grandmaster Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa created history as he defeated world number one chess champion, Magnus Carlsen, of Norway in an online chess tournament on February 20, 2022.
- The 16-year-old Pragg achieved the feat in the eighth round of the Airthings Masters, an online rapid chess tournament, in 39 moves with black pieces.
- The Airthings Masters is the first of the nine events of the 2022 Meltwater Champions Chess Tour, being held from February to November 2022.
- With this, Pragg became the youngest player to beat Carlsen since the Norwegian became World Champion in 2013.
- Pragg is also only the third Indian grandmaster to win against Magnus Carlsen apart from Viswanathan Anand and Pentala Harikrishna.
Points to Remember:
- Which Indian chess player became the youngest to beat world number one chess champion, Magnus Carlsen?
- World number one, Magnus Carlsen is from which country?
- Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa hails from Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- He became fifth-youngest person ever to achieve the title of Grandmaster in 2018