Skip to content
International Week of the Deaf (IWD) 2023: September 18 to 24
- Every year, the full week ending on the last Sunday of September is observed as the International Week of the Deaf (IWD).
- In 2023, IWD is being observed from September 18 to 24.
- The last Sunday of the month of September is celebrated as the World Day of Deaf or International Day of the Deaf. (September 24, 2023).
- The theme of 2023 IWD:
- September 18: Declaration on the Rights of Deaf Children
- September 19: building capacities in deaf communities across the globe
- September 20: Realizing “Nothing without Us”
- September 21: Putting Deaf People on the Agenda
- September 22: Achieving Sign Language Rights for All
- September 23: A World Where Deaf People Everywhere Can Sign Anywhere! (International Day of Sign Languages)
- September 24: Building Inclusive Deaf Communities
- The IWD is an initiative of the World Federation of the Deaf (WFD).
- The initiative was first launched in 1958 in Rome, Italy to commemorate the month when the first World Congress of the WFD was held.