Skip to content
Kenya successfully launches its first satellite Taifa-1 onboard SpaceX Falcon-9 rocket
- On April 15, 2023, Kenya successfully launched its first operational earth observation satellite, ‘Taifa-1 satellite,’ into orbit.
- The launch took place on a SpaceX rocket Falcon-9 from the Vandenberg Base in California, United States.
- The satellite will collect agricultural and environmental data, including on floods, drought and wildfires, to be used for disaster management and to combat food insecurity.
- The satellite has been developed by nine Kenyan engineers.
- As per the information, this satellite will operate for five years and then decay over 20 years.