National Women’s Day in India: 13 February
- In India, the National Women’s Day is observed every year on 13 February.
- The day commemorates the birth anniversary of Sarojini Naidu, the political activist and poet who was an important figure in India’s struggle for independence from colonial rule..
- Sarojini Naidu was born on February 13, 1879.
- She earned the title as the Nightingale of India or ‘Bharat Kokila’, by Mahatma Gandhi, because of colour, imagery and lyrical quality of her poetry.
- Apart from being famous for her literary contribution, Naidu is also recognised for her contribution for women’s equal rights.
Points to Remember:
- When is the National Women’s Day observed in India?
- The National Women’s Day marks the birth anniversary of which personality?