- Reserve Bank of India has launched two initiatives related to digital payments on March 08, 2022. One is UPI123pay- which provides UPI payment facility on feature phones and the second is “DigiSaathi” which is a 24×7 Helpline for Digital Payments. The details of the two initiative is given below:
UPI123pay- UPI payment facility on feature phones
- The UPI123pay will provide the users of feature phones the option to use Unified Interface Payments (UPI) for making payments. For this, UPI123 pay presently offers four mediums/options to the users of feature phones to make UPI payments. These four options are given below:
- App-based Functionality- An app would be installed on the feature phone through which several UPI functions, available on smartphones, will also be available on feature phones.
- Missed Call: Under this facility users of feature phones can make payments at the merchant outlet by giving a missed call on the number displayed at the merchant outlet. The customer will receive an incoming call to authenticate the transaction by entering UPI PIN. The users can also access their bank account and perform routine transactions such as receiving, transferring funds, regular purchases, bill payments, etc., by giving a missed call.
- Inter-active Voice Response (IVR): UPI payment through pre-defined IVR numbers would require users to initiate a secured call from their feature phones to a predetermined number and complete UPI on-boarding formalities to be able to start making financial transactions without internet connection.
- Proximity Sound-based Payments: This uses sound waves to enable contactless, offline, and proximity data communication on any device.
- The name UPI123pay denotes that the UPI payment can be done in three (123) easy steps i.e. 1. Call 2. Choose and 3. Pay
- Presently the option available for feature phone users for digital payments is of USSD which is a bit cumbersome and not popular. The launch of UPI123pay will improve the payments ecosystem for more tha 40 crore users of feature phones in India.
“DigiSaathi”- 24×7 Helpline for Digital Payments
- This service will provide users with automated responses on information related to digital payment products and services. Presently it is available in English and Hindi language.
- Users can access DigiSaathi via any of the following mode:
- toll-free number (1800-891-3333),
- a short code (14431),
- website – http://www.digisaathi.info, and chatbots.
Points to remember:
- Name of UPI facility launched by RBI for feature phones?
- Name of 24×7 Helpline for Digital Payments launched by RBI?