Tamil Nadu to launch its 18th wildlife sanctuary in Erode district
- The state government of Tamil Nadu has announced a new wildlife sanctuary to be established in Erode district.
- The new wildlife sanctuary will be called ‘Thanthai Periyar Animal Sanctuary’.
- It will be formed in 2023-2024.
- This will be the 18th wildlife sanctuary in Tamil Nadu.
- The Erode district already has two wildlife sanctuaries — Vellode Birds Sanctuary and Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve (STR).
The new sanctuary will be developed over a forest land of 80,567 hectares, located in Gobichettipalayam and Anthiyur taluks of the district.Around 21 different mammals, 139 bird species and 118 types of butterflies would inhabit in the proposed sanctuary.