Union Fisheries Minister Parshottam Rupala inaugurates ‘Sagar Parikrama’ initiative from Gujarat
- As a part of ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsava’, the Union Ministry for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying has organised ‘Sagar Parikrama’ initiative, to understand the challenges, experiences and aspirations of fishermen community.
- The programme will be held in phased manner in states that have a coastline. To begin with, Gujarat will mark the first state under this initiative.
- The Department of Fisheries has jointly organised the programme with National Fisheries Development Board along with Gujarat Government’s Department of Fisheries, Indian Coast Guard, Fishery Survey of India, Gujarat Maritime Board and fishermen representatives.
- The main focus of this journey shall be on sustainable balance between the utilization of marine fisheries resources for food security of nation and livelihoods of coastal fisher communities and protection of marine ecosystems.
- The Union Minister for Fisheries, Shri Parshottam Rupala inaugurated the ‘Sagar Parikrama’ on March 05, 2022 from Gujarat.
- The voyage was flagged off from Mandvi at Shyamiji Krishna Varma Memorial, Gujarat on March 5 and will conclude on March 6 at Porbandar via Okha in Devbhoomi Dwarka.
- Other districts of Gujarat and other State/UTs will be covered in subsequent phases.
Points to remember:
- Sagar Parikrama initiative has been launched by which ministry?
- Sagar Parikrama programme has been launched from which state?
- Union Minister for Fisheries, Shri Parshottam Rupala