Centre launches ‘SMILE’ scheme for Welfare of Transgender community and the Beggars
- The Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment Dr. Virendra Kumar launched the Central Sector scheme titled “SMILE” on February 12, 2022.
- SMILE stands for Support for Marginalized Individuals for Livelihood and Enterprise.
- Objective: The new umbrella scheme aims to provide welfare measures to the Transgender community and the people engaged in the act of begging.
- The scheme will give the necessary legal protection, social security and a promise to a secured life to the targeted group.
- Outlay: The Ministry has allocated Rs. 365 crore for the scheme for five years from 2021-22 to 2025-26.
- The SMILE scheme comprises of two sub-schemes. These are:
- ‘Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation for Welfare of Transgender Persons’ and
- ‘Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation of engaged in the act of Begging’.
Points to Remember:
- Which ministry has launched the SMILE scheme?
- Name of the scheme launched by Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment for Welfare of Transgender community and the Beggars?
- The central sector SMILE scheme has been launched to cover which target group?
- Union Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment – Dr. Virendra Kumar
- Outlay of the scheme?