Boeing delivers 12th P-8I maritime patrol aircraft to the Indian Navy
- The Indian Navy received the 12th anti-submarine warfare aircraft P-8I from the US-based aerospace company Boeing on February 23, 2022.
- This is the fourth of four additional aircraft, for which the contract was signed in 2016.
- The Ministry of Defence had signed a contract for eight P-8I aircraft in 2009. However, later in 2016, it signed a contract for four additional P-8I aircraft.
- P-8I is a long-range maritime reconnaissance and Anti-Submarine Warfare Aircraft, and a variant of the P-8A Poseidon used by the US Navy.
- India was the first international customer of Boeing for this aircraft.
- The Indian Navy inducted the first P-8I aircraft in 2013.
Points to Remember:
- India signed contract for anti-submarine warfare aircraft P-8I with which country?
- Anti-submarine warfare aircraft P-8I has been developed by which company? Boeing
- How many P-8I have been received in total by Indian Navy? 12
Source: Economic Times