Skip to content
Indermit Gill becomes second Indian after Kaushik Basu to be appointed as Chief Economist at World Bank
- The World Bank has appointed Indian national Indermit Gill as the Chief Economist and Senior Vice-President for Development Economics at the multilateral development bank.
- Indermit Gill will be the second Indian, after Kaushik Basu, to become the chief economist of World Bank.
- Gill will assume the new role from September 1, 2022 and will replace Carmen Reinhart.
- He is currently working as vice president for equitable growth, finance, and institutions, at World Bank.
- Kaushik Basu was the first Indian to serve this post from 2012-2016.