Kashmiri Hand-Knotted Carpets gets QR Code-based GI Tag
- The Government of Jammu and Kashmir has launched a quick response (QR) code for its GI-tagged Kashmiri carpet, to preserve the authenticity and genuineness of the hand-knotted carpets.
- The main objective of this QR Code attached to GI tag is to help in reviving the sheen and glory of the Kashmiri carpet industry.
- The QR code will contain relevant information of the artisans, manufacturer, weaver, district, raw material used etc.
- Since the QR code label cannot be copied or misused, it will discourage the counterfeit production of carpets.
- Meanwhile, the first ever consignment of GI-tagged hand-knotted carpets were exported to Germany from New Delhi on March 11, 2022.
- It must be noted that the Kashmiri carpets were granted GI-tag in June 2016 by Geographical Indication Registry of the Department of Industry Promotion and Internal Trade, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, but the registered carpets were certified from 2022.
Points to remember:
- The first ever consignment of GI-tagged hand-knotted Kashmiri carpets has been exported to which country?
Source: The Hindu