Kochi Airport to become power-positive with new solar plant from March 6
- The Cochin International Airport Limited (CIAL) is set to commission a 12 MWp solar power plant on March 6 near Payyannur in Kannur district of Kerala.
- With the commissioning of the new solar power plant, CIAL will get the status as power positive airport, from its current status of being a power-neutral airport.
- In 2015, CIAL became the world’s first airport to be fully powered by solar energy.
Points to Remember:
- Which airport in India is to get the status of power positive airport?
- Which airport in India has become the world’s first airport to be fully powered by solar energy?
Source: Business Standard
- The cumulative installed capacity of solar plants of CIAL, with the new plant, has been scaled up to 50 MWp.
- CIAL’s solar plants together generate two lakh units of power a day whereas the daily consumption of power in the airport stands at 1.6 lakh units.