Lavender designated as brand product of J&K’s Doda district, the birthplace of Purple Revolution
- The Union Minister of Science & Technology, Dr Jitendra Singh, chaired the District Development Coordination & Monitoring Committee (DISHA) meetings of several districts in Jammu & Kashmir recently.
- A key decision taken during the meeting was to designate Lavender as Doda brand product, to promote lavender under ‘One District, One Product’ initiative of the Modi Government.
- Doda district in J&K is the birthplace of India’s Purple Revolution, or the cultivation of Lavender.
- Though, Lavender cultivation is practiced in almost all the 20 districts of Jammu & Kashmir.
What is Purple Revolution?
- Purple Revolution (Lavender cultivation) was launched under Aroma Mission of the Union Ministry of Science & Technology.
- The AROMA mission is implemented by the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) through its Jammu-based laboratory, Indian Institute of Integrative Medicines (IIIM).
- The Mission’s objective is cultivation of important medicinal and aromatic plants domestically to empower domestic farmers and support India’s aromatic crop-based agro-economy by reducing imports of aromatic oils and increasing homegrown varieties.
- The Lavender crop is however a native to Europe.
Points to Remember:
- Government has declared Lavender as the brand product of which district?
- Purple revolution is related to cultivation of which crop?
- AROMA Mission is launched by which ministry?
- AROMA mission is implemented by which organisation?
- Purple revolution has been launched under which mission?
- Constituency of Dr Jitendra Singh- Udhampur-Kathua-Doda Lok Sabha constituency, J&K